Friday, June 6, 2008

My 4yr old Daughter Hates me



So today at our house has not been a great one well maybe I should say this whole week hasn't. We have had sick kids and haven't really left the house let alone the couch or the upstairs much.

So today when everyone was finally feeling better and I wanted to get out of the house more like NEEDED to get out of the house, Riley becomes to aware of the world around her. I don't know about any of you out there but I guess I thought that this time would happen when she was well 14, not 4. So today when we were all ready to go to of all places the grocery store and she stops me and goes NO mom don't go. Just me and the boys and dad please? At first It didnt bother me, then I go no I really need to go because of A B and C and then she starts to cry... CRY. SO I ask her why she is crying and she says that I don't LOOK or act like other moms. And that I am mean. Holy Crap what am I in for when she hits 14!

5 comments:

Laurie said...

Don't let her get to you!!! Kids learn quickly that they can push our buttons! My girls aren't usually happy with me, either, but isn't there some saying that goes something like, "I'm your Mom. Not your best friend"??

Don't let her get to you!!! I think she's just trying different things - seeing what reactions she can get!

(You know, it's MUCH easier telling OTHER people the advice I need to hear!!) :)

gail said...

Oh dear, that's heart breaking. Wow.

Regan said...

Oh, ouch! Girls can be so much fun sometimes. That's when I would've left everyone at home and headed out shopping alone!

Kellan said...

I have a 6 year old girl (Alexis) that only ever wants to sit by Daddy when we go out to eat - hurts my feelings sometimes.

I'm Kellan, btw - nice to meet you. Have a good day.

BobandColista said...

I remember when I was a little girl and not very happy with my mother I would sit on the window sill in my bedroom dreaming about how lucky three girls had it over at their house, next door to me. I would sit in that window sill crying my head off and yelling out the window that I wanted to live with Diana!

In my mind they must have had a better mom than me because I never heard their mom yelling at them, their mom did not make her own dresses like mine did, and they had a big swing set, and their mom gave them prizes for doing chores, their mom baked cookies all the time, their mom was...

As the saying goes The grass is always greener...

If my little girl said something like that to me it would break my heart. Then I would remember how I told my mom to stop singing because I thought the mom next door could sing better than my mom. After I said that to my mom she immediately stopped singing and I immediately felt guilty. I couldn't take back what I had said. I had hurt my mom's feelings.

Through the years of growing up I said many things that were hateful to my mom, not because I hated her or truly thought she was not good enough, but because I was an immature child who had a hard time keeping myself from comparing my family to others.

If my child does say something like that to me I hope I will be able to ignore the hurt, get down to her level, tell her how much I love her and give her a big hug and then start planning a mother-daughter outing so that both my daughter and I can remove ourselves from the stress of daily lives and enjoy each other's company.

Spending time together and laughing is what strengthens a mother-daughter bond and creates in a child pride for herself and her family.

Don't let it get you down. You are a wonderful mother and person. Your daughter will one day be a mother and will think back to the day that she told her mom...